Monday, September 15, 2008

On our way to see the Rebels Play!


Heading to the Grove this weekend for the festivities. Can't wait to be home! I am taking a good friend to the game,,, he's a Georgia fan and has never had the pleasure of fair Oxford on game day. Now that I think about it, everyone I've taken to a game has been a Georgia fan. A couple of years ago I carried my good friend and his new wife to Oxford for an Ole Miss/ Georgia game. My wife and I gave them tickets as a wedding gift because... damn it, know one needs that much china! We cruised in of friday night and I drove them by stadium. Of course the gate was unlocked so we went out on the field. Cutcliffe was out there talking to reporters and trowing the ball with some kids and came over to talk to us. Say what you want about David Cutcliffe... yes he's a wheezin' heart attack waitin' to happen and we're better off without him... but he's a nice guy. He came over, introduced himself and was very nice to me and my friend (who I introduced as a rabid dawg fan). He told to enjoy ourselves and headed off... didn't run us off the field or anything. I miss the ole days when no one bothered to lock up Vaught. We lost that game but were competitive until the end.
I took a couple of other Dawgs to Oxford a few years back. Ed Gump was the coach and we, again, were competitive, had a couple of calls not go our way and... lost. The atmosphere was impressive. My friends definitely enjoyed themselves. They were most impressed by the enormous port o potties with the hot and cold running water and air conditioning... "We ain't never seen anything like it!"
What does this weekend have in store for us? Well, I don't know. We're playing Vandy, who is (and it pains me to even type this) undefeated. When I think about my days as an undergrad, there are two teams that I remember having more problems beating. Vandy and Tulane. For some reason...those guys are in our head. Who knows about this week? All I know is that it is going to be good to be in the Grove again. I want to see it all and have my friend see and experience the game day experience at its finest. With that said, here is what I don't want to see...
these guys are douche bags!


1 comment:

magnumpatriotbulldog said...

I appreciate the shout out on Monday's blog. Between meeting Coach Cutcliffe, eating at McAlister's for the 1st time, almost buying The Gin and telling my wife I wasn't ever bringing her to another footbal game because she got mad when I started cussing, that weekend will go down in legend and lore...just like The Bandit & Snowman (RIP).