Thursday, August 7, 2008

Good Things... Keeneland Race Course



















In an effort to continue yesterday's thread, I thought I would spend a moment looking at something (like good bbq) that Ole Miss folks could naturally sink their teeth into. When I think about the really special places I have had the pleasure to visit... the truly unique experiences... this one naturally comes to mind. 
At the heart of the bluegrass lies Keeneland Race Course. This place is truly old school and it is the closest thing to the Grove I have ever experienced... lots of bourbon, girls in sun dresses and people tailgating before post time.  Now here is the down side...you will find many people playing Corn Hole, which I'm not sure is really a fun game or a way to save parking places for friends... either way, in the words of my good friend Monroe Jett, " Corn Hole?  That crap is natural girl repellant!"

Now, I know what you're gonna say!  What about Churchill Downs?  What about the Kentucky Derby?  Trust me when I say this... The Derby is cool and I guess Churchill Downs is a cool place to be one weekend a year but for the most part it is the equivalent to Tiger Stadium and Louisville... Baton Rouge.  Even the Derby ain't that swanky... especially if you find yourself in the infield.  Imagine the filth of New Orleans (in both actual trash and trashy visitors) at the height of Mardi Gras and drop it into a muddy infield and there you have it... Churchill downs at it's finest!
So, bypass that whole experience and head for Keeneland.  Trust me, Ole Miss folks, you'll feel strangely at home!

No comments: